Tony Frost and his company, Sirocco Strategic Management are greatly respected clients of Barkers and we have been most inspired by the conception and subsequent success of the 1965 Ride - their impactful education initiative.
Since 2015, Barker has sponsored R30 000 annually towards the event, and we are so grateful to be a part of such a worthwhile cause (The Ride 1965 team pictured above sporting their Barker buffs and socks).
The 1965 Ride is an 850km cycle tour between Johannesburg and Queenstown, and the funds raised are placed into an educational scholarship and bursary fund, which enables deserving students to attend quality schools. The cyclists are all amateur volunteers who strongly believe that improving education is a priority in our country. All participants raise their own sponsorships to support this initiative.
Aims and Objectives of the Queenstown Education Foundation
- To transform education in the Queenstown region by improving the quality of learning and teaching throughout the community from pre-school to PhD level.
- To give deserving young people the opportunity to receive a quality education, thereby providing them with the chance of a lifetime. This is their key objective.
- The 1965 Ride cycle tour is part of this broader vision to support the development of the schools and to provide talented youngsters with a golden opportunity – a good education.
- It is also part of an initiative to publicise the vision and activities of the Foundation to garner support to extend its activities.
- To encourage cyclists from all over South Africa to undertake similar tours in support of education in Queenstown.
In addition to our passion for cycling, Barker places an exceptionally high value on education. In our endeavor to promote consistent learning and growth in others, our Barker Unite Foundation is an immensely proud contributor to this annual legacy-building event. Several other Barker clients have also become involved, and we are so thrilled to be affiliated with them. Thank you for all your generous efforts in making such a significant difference to our underprivileged local communities.